This article will detail How to Configure Windows Firewall on Windows Server 2012 , including: managing firewall settings and creating inbound, outbound firewall rules.
To set up firewall settings on windows server, follow 3 steps below :
1. Open Server Manager from the taskbar => from Server Manager windows => click the Tools menu and select Windows Firewall with Advanced Security.
2. From Windows Firewall with Advanced Security windows => select Windows Firewall Properties from the MMC. From here you can access the settings adjustment interface for the 3 firewall profiles, Domain, Private and Public, and IPsec settings.
3: Apply custom rules that are done through the following two steps:
From Windows Firewall with Advanced Security windows => select Inbound Rules or Outbound Rules from the list in the left management pane. Active rules will have a green icon in the checkbox, gray is disabled. You right-click on the rule to activate or deactivate it.
How do I create a new Firewall rule?
To create a new Firewall rule, follow 8 steps below :
- In Windows Firewall with Advanced Security windows ,from the Actions pane on the right, under Inbound Rules or Outbound Rules choose New Rule.
2. Select Custom options in What type of rule would you like to create? => click button Next.
3. Select All programs options (to apply all connections on the computer) or This program path (only for a specific program) => click button Next.
4. Select the protocol type, Local port and remote Port in Protocol Type =>click button Next.
5. Select the IP address for both the local one and the remote control => click button Next.
6. Select the action to apply to the appropriate traffic => click button Next.
7. Select the profile associated with the your rule => click button Next.
8. Name the rule and add a description => click button Finish.
The rules can be found in the respective Rules tab, Inbound or Outbound depending on the type of rule you create. To disable or delete the rule just find the rule in the MMC, right click on it and choose Disable Rule or Delete.